prosol energy systems logo

Call Now: 705-560-3387

Food Truck Inspection

Mobile Food Equipment Annual Inspection

As of Feb 13, 2006 TSSA’s regulations require all food trucks (MFSE)  to undergo an annual inspection by a licensed gas technician to identify and correct any problems with the appliances or their components. This is particularly important given that mobile equipment is subject to considerably more wear and tear than if it were stationary.

Our Inspection Process

Prior to re-certification, a licensed gas technician will conduct a thorough inspection of your equipment. 

This includes all of the following:

Once your inspection has been completed, you will receive a report detailing any deficiencies that require correction prior to certification. One of our technicians will also confirm that you and/or the owner fully understand the operations and responsibilities outlined in the safety labelling.

If the MFSE has been approved for use, you will be provided with a signed copy of the MFSE-002 Mobile Food Service Equipment Annual Inspection Certificate for MFSEs. The certificate will be valid for 1 year from the date of certification. For your MFSE to be considered approved, form MFSE-002 must be available at all times while the inspected equipment is in operation.


The TSSA or Technical Standards and Safety Authority is a non-profit agency responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Technical Standards and Safety Act and its regulations, on behalf of the Government of Ontario. 

Passing the annual safety inspection is not an approval of the equipment. The purpose of the safety inspection is to identify and correct any problems with an appliance or its components. A critical component of this annual inspection performed by a gas technicians is to ensure that the ENTIRE MFSE assembly – i.e. cart, trailer or truck AND its fuel supply, piping, appliances, ventilation and warning labels – is approved. If not, it doesn’t pass the inspection.

Approval of MFSE relates to either a TSSA Field Approval or an agency certification that authorizes the unit and its components for use in Ontario. The inspecting technician will confirm these certifications as part of the inspection.

There are two forms of approval by TSSA that are accepted during inspection:

  1. Approval demonstrated by a rating plate with a TSSA Field Approval sticker attached.
  2. Certification from any agency such as Canadian Standards Association (CSA), Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) or Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) for the entire unit, not just the individual appliances (usually indicated on a rating plate).


A Field Approval is a TSSA Fuels Safety program designed to regulate products unique in nature and limited in production, where certification is not feasible. It addresses the fuel-burning aspect of MFSEs, which includes:

  • Storage of the gas
  • Transmission of gas to the appliance
  • Burning at the appliance

Any electrical equipment greater than 30 VAC must be approved by an accredited agency.

MFSE owners and operators should also check with the local municipality to determine if there are additional requirements at a local level. 

All MFSE (including appliances) must be certified by an agency accredited by the Standards Council of Canada (e.g.,CSA, ULC or UL), or they will require a separate Field Approval.

Food trucks in operation before February 13, 2006 are exempt from the Field Approval process. Proof that the equipment was used prior to this date by the same owner is required (i.e., a paper trail) to be eligible for this exemption. The trucks and appliances must still undergo an annual inspection as noted above.  

For more details about field approval visit the TSSA Food Trucks website.

Appliances must be certified by a Standards Council of Canada (SCC) accredited Certification Body and must bear the recognized certification mark of that body for Canada.

Special appliances could be considered for use in an MFSE but will require a separate application to the TSSA.


If the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) manual states “not for commercial use” a BBQ cannot be used at public events. If there is no details in the OEM manual related to the type of use for the BBQ then usage of the appliance is acceptable. Any person operating a BBQ at a public event must have a copy of the owner’s manual present for the specific make and model of BBQ.  A inspection certification completed by a licensed gas technician is still required prior to putting the appliance into use.

The gas supply to the appliances must be in accordance with the requirements of B149.1-10. This will mean either Schedule 40 pipe, type G, K or L copper tubing, gas connectors complying with CSA standard 6.10 for movable appliance gas connectors complying with CSA standard 6.16. Standard gas appliance connectors for use with stationary appliances are not approved for use in this application.

For further information about MFSE requirements please give us a call or visit the TSSA Food Truck website.